UPDATE: This bill passed the House on May 17 and now moves on to the Senate. Please take action and tell Colorado Senators to VOTE NO.
New legislation has been introduced to the House of Representatives that is dangerous to our school, your church, and many other institutions. The “Equality Act” (H.R.5), as it is dubbed, is anything but. It will force a national view of sexuality that is no longer protected by the Religious Freedom Act.
This means that a church’s right to not hire LGBT based on their religious convictions will be wiped away. It means that private schools, like ours, will need to provide gender-neutral bathrooms and locker rooms or allow mixed use of those facilities for those who “identify” with a gender other than what they were born with. This affects not only Christianity, but also every other religion that holds strong beliefs about the sanctity of marriage, the identities given to us by God at birth, and a high view of sexual purity.
As Christians, we cannot stand for this Act, and we encourage you to learn more and ask your Representative to vote AGAINST H.R. 5.
Here are links to help you learn more, and to write a letter to your Representative:
- Read the text of H.R. 5.
- Read the text of the Religious Freedom Restoration Act (what H.R. 5. will make irrelevant in instances regarding sexual orientation and identity)
- See the summary and findings from the Heritage Foundation regarding H.R. 5.
- Call the Capitol Switchboard to urge a “no” vote on H.R. 5. – 202-225-3121.
- Find additional resources on the All for Freedom website
- Read ACSI’s letter to the House Subcommittees
- Read an ACSI blog post on how to address cultural challenges
We ask you to join us in praying that God’s will happen in regard to this House Bill, and we encourage you to reach out to your Representative to let him or her know how you feel.
UPDATE: You can track the progress of the Bill here: H.R. 5 — 116th Congress: Equality Act